The history of the summer stage on the roof of Kvarner is interesting and a little mysterious. Crekvina is the largest church building on the Croatian littoral on the site of which once stood the Church of the Assumption of Mary, destroyed by devastating earthquakes in 1750 and 1754. year.
In the 17th century, the Kastav lordship was acquired by the Jesuits, who used it, among other things, to finance their construction projects of which Crekvina was one of them. Construction began in the 18th century and was never completed as in 1773 1773 the Jesuit order was dissolved.
It was 50 metres long, 20 metres high and wide and could accommodate more than 3,000 believers. It is known that the Kastav region at that time had 7,000 inhabitants, so it is easy to conclude what a huge project it was.
Only a few folk legends about its construction have been preserved. In front of the historical remains a square was landscaped whilst today Crekvina itself is an ideal place for concerts and stage performances.